In recognition of National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness month, every November, The Stark County Hunger Task Force observes “Hunger Awareness Month,” or HAM for short. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, Hunger Awareness Month is a time set aside to focus on gratitude, generosity, and education. This November, we are speaking out on hunger, and so can you!
Food Drives, Fundraising, & Awareness Building
- Look for SCHTF’s Hunger Awareness Month display in Downtown Canton’s Market Square (formerly known as the Kresge lot) from November 3rd to November 7th.
- On Friday, November 7th at 12 noon, SCHTF is holding a public awareness event at Market Square. Come learn about local hunger, how to get involved with HAM, and help pass out PB&J to the hungry.
- Join the SCHTF staff in taking our Uncover Hunger Challenge starting Sunday, November 22nd!
Whether you’re just an individual looking to make a difference or part of a larger group, Hunger Awareness Month is the perfect time to host a food drive.
Anyone can get involved, and it’s easier than you think to mobilize your coworkers, team-members, youth group, church, or just family and friends. You can set up a collection box at your church, in your workplace, or even in your cubicle; go door to door in your neighborhood; choose an event like a group meeting, Sunday football get-together, weekly outing, or celebratory occasion. Are you planning your food drive yet? Let’s us help. Contact us to set one up in the month of November & we’ll make sure your donations stock pantry shelves.
If you’re not the organizing type, that’s perfectly fine — there are many ways for you to donate non-perishables and dollars during Hunger Awarness Month…no planning required!
- All Stark County schools are invited to participate in the Hunger Canvention, a county-wide food drive, and take the opportunity to provide their students with a valuable learning experience. If your child’s school isn’t participating, tell them why they should be.
- The Bedford Area Neighborhood Association will hold a food drive at the Babe Stern Center on Nov. 7th.
- On November 11th, Gregory’s Family Restaurant will hold a dine-to-donate fundraiser benefiting the SCHTF. Yum!
- November 21st from 10am to 11:30am, Stark County Youth Lacrosse is holding a 2014 Turkey Shootout fundraiser at Canton Central Catholic High School’s Lowell Klinefelter Stadium. They’re donating fifty percent of the proceeds to SCHTF, so see starkcountyyouthlacrosse.com for details.
- Clean our your cupboards before or after Thanksgiving and drop off your non-perishables at the Stark County Hunger Task Force offices!
- Feeling generous? Donate today!
Do you have an idea for an awareness-building event, or know of one happening in November? Share your Hunger Awareness Month knowledge — shoot us an email (email@example.com) because we want to know about it!